Monday, May 10, 2010

The Married Life

Adam and I received a wedding gift to attend a marriage conference put on by a company called Family Life. It is a weekend long conference all about making your marriage better and all the teaching is centered around God's purpose for marriage.

We made our way down to Irvine on Friday night checked into our hotel excited to be away for a weekend. Adam skeptical about the "conference" which is too be excepted since anything that deals with theology Adam always questions and rightly so. I felt excited but exhausted and wanted to fall into the KING size bed that awaited us in the room (sleeping in a queen size bed with Adam is not something to be desired. Adam is a bed hogger, blanker hogger, and I often wake up with bruises from his kicking or elbowing).

Over the weekend we were taught about Marriage. We learned new things, were reminded of things, but most of all we were taught that God needed to be the center of our marriage and the center of our lives. I think the book Sacred Marriage describes it best: "But what most of us crave more than anything else is to be intimately close to the God who made us. If that relationship is right, we won't make such severe demands on our marriage, asking each other, expecting each other, to compensate for spiritual emptiness."

After the first session Adam was no longer skeptical but rather he was amazed and convinced that every married or engaged couple should needs to attend the conference. We were truly blessed and learned so many good things.


Enjoy your week :)
LoveLoveLove


one last quote :) "If the purpose of marriage was simply to enjoy infatuation and make me 'happy', then I'd have to get a 'new' marriage every two or three year. But if I really wanted to see God transform me from the inside out, I'd need to concentrate on changing myself rather than on changing my spouse."- Sacred Marriage

1 comment: